Thursday 9 December 2010

written evaluation of my music magazine

1) IN WHAT WAYS DOES YOUR MEDIA PRODUCT USE, DEVELOP OR CHALLENGE FORMS AND CONVENTIONS OF REAL MEDIA PRODUCTS?
My media product/ the magazine) follows the conventions of magazines well. Using publications such as NME and KERRANG! to inspire me well aswell as knowledge i already have of the music industry. I looked at things that makes up the magazine such  the masthead on the top of any magazine there to catch the readers eye. The  image on the cover is a convention of my  magazine. i used this image as it showed a young urban guy listening to music which would strike out to other young people.i manipulated this image so that the heading would stand out and so would the main stories. I didnt want the front cover to be to busy and destract the reader from the main purpose.i include a barcode and the price and date of themaggazine. The magazine also features a strap-line, which is a convention for many music magazines. mine states, "in this month". This is simple and short . Also the headline of the cover is one of the biggest font sizes. It is a convention as it is the main article which could determine whether the reader would buy the magazine, and to make it appealing you make it as interesting and bold as possible to make it eye catching.
The font used is called "trashed" which is quite urban , bold type face, and cool . Iteffectively adds  impact to my magazine. This font creates an identity for my magazine.

http://www.dafont.com/

2) HOW DOES YOUR MEDIA PRODUCT REPRESENT PARTICULAR SOCIAL GROUPS?
My images are all different in different ways with models  different cultures as i didn't want it to seem that only the black population listened to urban music in the UK. However i wanted to make sure that the models in my photos looked youthful and into the urban scene. I wanted it to represent the demographics and psychographics of my target audience. It was important that i didnt just use one paticular racial group i used several and i reflected that in the photos that i took.















3) WHAT KIND OF INSTITUTION MIGHT DISTRIBUTE YOUR MUSIC MAGAZINE AND WHY?

The sorts of shops that would perhaps sell my music magazines are urbam shops that perhaps are not only a newsagent but also sell urban materials such as clothes etc. i also believe that my music magazine would be sold in ordinary newsagents found in london as my magazine is mainly focused on artists from london. In a newsagent there is a higher possibility of it being sold as there are more people that would walk in and out of the shop. My magazine is also suitable for a typical newsagents because it is readily available for whoever wants to buy it the price of the magazine is also suitable for the areasthey are  located in as those living around are mostly urban .

4) who would be the audience for your music magazine?

The audience that i am targeting for this music magazine are mainly youthful urban males and females in london and perhaps any other young people around the UK that are interested in urban music. I specifically didn't specify the type of urban music that i wanted to use as there are many different types i wanted to make it more broad so that you get a variety of things in the music magazine.  I used the colours black and red as the colours are bold and dark and rebellious which youth of today now are. The photos i used reflected this as they were all young and youthful and they looked cool and rebellious.  








5)HOW DID YOU ATTRACT /ADRESS TE AUDIENCE FOR YOUR MUSIC MAGAZINE?


I tried to make the colours of my magazine consistent . I used the colours i related to rebellion  which is black and red. With the colours in my magazine i related these to my target audience by  using  bold and strong colours, this relates to my target audience as at the age of 15-25 . The masthead of my magazine and the font that i had chosen for my magazine reflected well the target audience of my magazine as  i chose a graffiti styled font for my magazine i made sure that the photos that i had taken were  linked in with the rest of the magazine as the model in th double page spread wore the colours that i had made consistent throughout my magazine . What the main model wears and his positioning in each photo represents the body language and style of a young audience. I didn't want the magazine to look like  a magazine for  an older audience i would want it to appeal so my strapline. I wanted my readers to be able to relate to the language i used throughout my magazine, people in college and generally young people do not tend to be sophisticated, and tend to talk to each other in an informal way, so to get them to relate with my magazine i used informal language as if i was actually talking to them using some strapline and masthead of my magazine confirmed who i wanted this magazine to appeal to. in my double page spread i wanted the language in the interview to be laid back to represent how youth speak nowadays. i didn't want it to seem fake and so i used my own knowledge and understanding of what i know about the genre and made the interview look as if the artist had to think about the answrs and interacted with the interviewer.


















6) WHAT HAVE YOU LEARNT ABOUT TECHNOLOGIES FROM YOUR MUSIC PUBLICATIONS?


When creating my music magazine i had to use a number of different programmes that i would like to use so that my publication looked professional. i used programmes such as photoshop pages iphoto the internet and digital cameras to make my publication look as professional as those on the market, it took me a while to understand how to use photoshop but as i used it more and plaid around with it in my prelimanary task it became more simple and efficient to use. i had to use layers and learn how to lock layers and edit pages how to upload photos and to distort them so that my publication wasn't plain and had the element of it looking acceptable. I used the internet to find dafont.com which I downloaded fonts from so that i could use these to relate to my audience more. I  learnt that technology can be difficult if you dont play around with it but once i learnt how to work the programmes i could do almost anyting to make my publication perfect. Here is a print screeenof me using pages to find my downloaded text "trashed"



and here is a screen grab of me locking the layers in photoshop



7)  LOOKING BACK AT YOUR PRELIMINARY TASK, OF DESIGNING THE FRONT PAGE OF A SCHOOL MAGAZINE, WHAT DO OU FEEL YOU HAVE LEARNT IN THE PROGESSION FROM IT TO THE FULL PRODUCT


Mostly i have learnt how to use programmes such as photoshop an pages properly s that i can manage. I feel like i have learnt a lot since starting this task. I learnt alot about my target audiences before i created my magazines. I looked at magazines that are already out in the market and came to a decision of what i  would do in my music magazine and what type of colours and fonts i used. It was important for me to plan first so that it could relate to my target audiencei. the photography, planning my shots was not a problem but I do not feel that I gave myself enough time to take my shots and create them exactly how I wanted them, working more on the production of the magazine itself and putting everything together, although in the end I was quite pleased with the shots that I did achieve.





No comments:

Post a Comment